Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 6 people
Use up those ripe bananas with this wonderful banana bread which is moist and full of flavour. Your home will smell delicious!
- 4-5 over ripe bananas, mashed till smooth
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
Preheat the oven to 345℉/175℃, and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
Separately, in a medium bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. To this, add the vanilla essence, eggs and mashed bananas, and mix well.
Fold the egg mixture into the flour till just incorporated, taking care not to over-stir.
Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 30 minutes, or till a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack.
- Soft, over-ripe bananas are sweeter, have a stronger flavour, and impart more moisture than yellow bananas. Yellow bananas will result in a less sweet and drier cake!
- Insert a clean skewer into the bread and if it comes out clean, it is ready.
- Add a cup of chocolate chips to the mixture.
- Try this frosting with the banana bread
- Substitute eggs with 1/2 cup applesauce (adjust the amount of sugar in the recipe accordingly).
- Replace butter with 1/3 cup vegetable oil.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To freeze, wrap in bees-wax paper or clingfilm.
Easy Banana Bread
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g45%
Vitamin A 475IU10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.