A good homemade chicken stock will take your dishes to another level and fill your home with a most delicious aroma!
A good chicken stock is essential for many dishes, preparing a simple soup or a delicious sauce/gravy.
This recipe is for a white chicken stock, as the aromatics are not sauteéd, but boiled together with the chicken, giving a lighter coloured stock.
This is very simple, no-fuss recipe. Once the ingredients have been added, bring it to a simmer, set the timer for 3 hours, and by then it should be done. Keep an eye on the liquid level in case a little more water is required.
Chicken skin – on or off?
You could do either, but as chicken skin is very fatty, I remove it for a leaner stock.
Leave vegetables whole or chopped?
It is worth dicing the vegetables, as this way they add more flavour to the stock.
Why does chicken stock take so long to cook?
The lengthy cooking time allows collagen from the connective tissue to turn to gelatin, thickening and enriching the stock.
For a speedier chicken stock, use a pressure cooker/ instant pot – the chicken stock will taste just as good!
A reduced stock has a richer more intense flavour, so don’t add too much water and allow it to reduce.
Use a fine mesh strainer
This is important to remove any scum which will have accumulated during cooking, so you end up with a clear stock.
Excess fat can be skimmed off once the liquid has cooled and the fat has risen and congealed on surface.
Chicken stock will keep in a sealed container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Freeze in ice cube trays, the same day.
For a flavoursome sauce
Add a little cream to chicken stock for a smooth and delicious sauce over steak or grilled meats.
For a tasty chicken noodle soup
Add boiled noodles and garnish with sliced scallions.
Recipes using chicken stock
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Homemade Chicken Stock
- Large Strainer
- 1 chicken skin removed, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 stick celery diced small
- 1 medium carrot diced small
- 1 small onion diced small
- 2 bay leaves
- a few sprigs thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups water cold
- In a large saucepan, add all the ingredients and cover with water till ingredients are fully submerged.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat as low as it will go and simmer for 3 hours.
- Strain the stock using a fine mesh strainer.
- Chicken stock will keep in a sealed container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- Freeze in ice cube trays, the same day.
- For a speedier chicken stock, use a pressure cooker/ instant pot - the chicken stock will taste just as good!
- A reduced stock has a richer more intense flavour, so after a while stop add more water and allow it to reduce.
- For a flavoursome sauce: Add a little cream to chicken stock for a smooth and delicious sauce over steak or grilled meats.
- For a tasty chicken noodle soup: Add boiled noodles and garnish with sliced scallions.