Savoury muffins filled with broccoli and melted cheese are delicious warmed up for breakfast, as an easy on-the-go snack, or in lunch-boxes.
These broccoli and cheese muffins are light, moist and wonderfully fluffy on the inside with crispy tops.
Filled with melted cheese and the slight crunch of broccoli, they are delicious eaten warm with butter for breakfast, or as an easy on-the-go snack, for picnics and in lunch boxes.
These kid-friendly savoury breakfast muffins are so quick and easy to prepare, even the kids could help and the aroma will leave your kitchen smelling delicious!
Make a batch to keep in the freezer, then defrost in the microwave for a quick anytime snack.
Your questions answered
To achieve fluffy muffins, use eggs and dairy products at room temperature so they can be incorporated evenly, forming an emulsion and trapping air. Use oil instead of butter and mix the batter till it is just combined and moistened, do not over mix.
Using a vegetable oil produces light and fluffy muffins, while butter tends to solidify at room temperature, giving a slightly denser crumb once cooled.
Over mixing muffin batter will either trap too much air making muffins very fragile and prone to collapsing, or it creates more gluten giving heavy dense, chewy muffins that fail to rise. If the batter has been over mixed it is better to start again.
Fill the muffin liners up to ¾ as the muffins will rise while baking. Bake the muffins at a high heat (220°C/200°C Fan/425°F) for 5 minutes, then reduce to 190°C/170°C Fan/375°F and bake for a further 13-15 minutes till golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
If you have more questions, feel free to ask below in the comments.
These muffins will keep in a closed box the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to a month. Then bring to room temperature or warm before serving.
You may also like
⭐️ Are you making this Broccoli & Cheese Breakfast Muffins recipe? I’d love to know how it turned out in the comments!
⭐️ And if you like it, please give it a 5 star rating below! ⭐️
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Broccoli And Cheese Breakfast Muffins
- 2 tablespoons oil for greasing
- 240 grams flour 2 cups
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 medium egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper freshly crushed
- 240 milliliters milk 1 cup
- 60 milliliters vegetable oil ¼ cup or softened butter
- 1 broccoli head 1 ½ cups steamed and chopped small
- 200 grams cheddar cheese 2 cups, grated
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/425°F. Grease the cups of a muffin tray, or insert paper liners and set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, add salt, then mix in the broccoli, cheese and pepper.
- In a smaller bowl, blend the eggs, milk and butter till fully combined.
- Pour egg mixture into the four and lightly mix everything together till moistened (do not beat).
- Fill the muffin liners ¾ full with batter and bake for 5 minutes, then turn down the heat to 190°C/170°C Fan/375°F and bake for a further 13-15 minutes, till golden. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing. Best served warm
- Ensure the egg and milk are at room temperature for fluffy muffins.
- Mix the batter till it is just moistened. Do not beat or over mix the batter, it does not need to be perfectly combined, as this will make the muffins too dense.
- Fill the muffin liners ¾ full as the muffins will rise while baking.
- These muffins will keep in a closed box the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to a month. Bring to room temperature or warm before serving.
The ingredients here on EOTF are set out in grams & milliliters and in US cups & spoons.