The secret to the best guacamole is getting the most out of your fresh ingredients.
This really is the BEST guacamole recipe and you will see why.
It is so easy and quick to make, and you only need a few ingredients. Serve with this Mexican Rice.
What makes this so great?
The secret to a great guacamole is in getting the most out of your fresh ingredients. It is not just about chopping everything small and mixing it together, rather it’s in extracting the maximum amount of flavour.
What you will need is a couple of good quality ripe avocados, one small red onion, one jalapeño or serrano pepper, ½ a lemon, some chopped cilantro (fresh coriander), and salt.
Select ripe avocados
Good quality, ripe avocados are essential for a good guac, so select those which are ready to eat for their delicious flavour and creamy consistency. They should be firm with a slight give when pressed.
If the avocados are a little hard, they won’t have much flavour and you won’t get that creaminess, while very soft overripe avocados will spoil the flavour.
How to make it
First mince together the onion, jalapeño and cilantro (fresh coriander leaves).
Cut the avocados last to prevent them from turning brown during this stage.
This technique draws the maximum flavour from the ingredients.
Using a cooks knife, finely dice the onion and jalapeño. Add the salt and using the flat side of the knife, press down to smash the ingredients. The salt helps to draw out the liquid which softens the onion and pepper. Continue to chop and mash till it is minced like a salsa consistency. Next, finely chop the cilantro and mix together.
How to cut the avocado
Using a sharp knife, slice the avocado in half, lengthways, rotate the two halves and pull them apart. Remove the pit by very gently hitting the knife blade into the pit so it sticks, and rotate the pit out. Scoop into a bowl using a spoon.
Mash the avocado using a potato masher.
Assemble the guacamole
Combine the minced ingredients with the mashed avocado and squeeze lemon juice on top. Mix well and taste for seasoning.
Always serve at room temperature.
What to eat it with
Try guacamole as a dip, in a sandwich, spread on toast/bagel, or as a side with fish or eggs. The fresh flavours complement so many dishes.
Keep in an airtight container and cover with a thin layer of oil or water. Pour this away before serving.
Store in the fridge for up to two days. It is safe to eat if it turns dark green, but will taste of unripe avocados if it turns brown.
Bring to room temperature before serving.
More recipes to try
Try these other Dips.
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Best Ever Guacamole
- 2 avocados ripe
- 1 small red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeds removed
- ½ lemon
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves (fresh coriander leaves)
- salt to taste
- Using a cook's knife, finely chop the onion and jalapeño. Add salt and using the flat blade, press down to smash the ingredients. Continue to chop and smash till minced.
- Finely chop the cilantro into the minced ingredients.
- Prepare the avocados (see notes below), scooping them out into a bowl, and mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- Combine the minced ingredients with the mashed avocado and squeeze lemon over the top. Stir well and serve at room temperature.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the avocado in half, lengthways, rotate the two halves and pull them apart.
- Remove the pit by very gently hitting the knife blade into the pit so it sticks, and rotate the pit out.
- Scoop into a bowl using a spoon.