This flavourful one-pot rice is delicious on its own or as a side with grilled meats, and it all comes together in just 20 minutes.
Mexican Rice (Arroz Rojo), is a delicious tasty, seasoned rice which can be enjoyed on its own or as a side.
It is a great accompaniment for tacos, fajitas, enchiladas or grilled meats. We also love it wrapped in crunchy lettuce leaves with a helping of Guacamole!
And it is so tasty, you can even serve it at room temperature, making it ideal for BBQs, picnics and lunch-boxes.
This rice is so easy to make, and all comes together in one pot, with rice, onions, ground cumin, jalapeños, tomatoes and chicken stock (or water).
How to make it
Heat the oil, garlic and cumin on a low flame to develop the flavours. Add the rice, then turn the heat to medium and briefly sauté it in the flavoured oil till mixed.
Next, stir in the chopped onions, jalapeños and tomato sauce. Then pour in the hot stock (or hot water & salt), and mix well.
Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Substitutions
To make it vegetarian, use water and salt instead of chicken stock.
I usually use basmati rice for this recipe, but long grain or brown rice work well too.
Make ahead and storing
Mexican Rice can be made ahead and will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Before serving, bring to room temperature on the kitchen counter or heat in a pan/microwave, with a splash of water.
🥘 You may also like
More rice dishes
⭐️ Are you making this Mexican Rice recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely/grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups rice basmati or long-grain
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 jalapeños chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups hot chicken stock or hot water
- salt *if not using stock
- On a low flame, heat the oil, cumin and garlic in a medium pan for around one minute, till the garlic softens.
- Add the rice and sauté briefly for one minute.
- Turn the heat up to medium and stir in the onion, jalapeños and tomato sauce.
- Pour in the stock, or water and salt (if required). Stir then cover, reducing heat to low, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.