Last Updated on
As my recipe for Nutella cookies was such a hit, I thought I’d try making a giant double layer cookie filled with Nutella. Sounds good? It absolutely was! Serve with a generous scoop of ice cream – enjoy!
This giant cookie doesn’t take long to make. It’s really simple, just make the chocolate cookie dough, and refrigerate for 1 hour up to 2 days. Here is why.
When you are ready to make the cookies, divide the dough into 2 parts. (If cooking immediately, and the dough is still a bit sticky, add a couple of more tablespoons of flour till it is smooth.) Press one half down to cover the base of a skillet and spread a layer of Nutella over it. Then, on cling film, roll out the other half of the cookie dough till it is a similar size to the first and place over the layer of Nutella. Bake, cool and serve.
It’s a perfect sharing dessert – or not! Enjoy with a big scoop of ice cream or a glass of cold milk.
Chocolate and Nutella Skillet Cookie
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground salt
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, white and brown sugar till smooth. Mix in the beaten eggs, vanilla essence and salt. Dissolve the baking soda in a teaspoon of water and stir till dissolved, then add to mixture, blending well. Fold in the flour and cocoa powder. and mix to make a dough. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Press half of the dough into a large cast iron skillet lined with parchment paper, ensuring the cookie dough doesn't reach as far as the sides. Spread the Nutella evenly over the dough. Press the remaining dough on a piece of cling film, till it is a similar size, and then gently lift it and place it over the layer of Nutella.
- Bake for 10 minutes after which cover with baking foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.