These Nutella chocolate cookies are so easy and quick to make – chewy and crispy with a gooey Nutella centre! What more could you want? They are a perfect quick-fix for chocoholics .
In my opinion, a good cookie should be soft and chewy in the middle with a crunch on the outside. They have a slight bulge in the middle where, naturally they are filled full of delicious Nutella!
The recipe is so simple, you could get the kids involved – any kids.
Refrigerating the cookie dough for at least 30 minutes (up to 3 days) prior to baking gives these results:
- The moisture from the wet ingredients in the dough gets a chance to absorb properly into the dry ingredients, making the dough less sticky
- The butter will take longer to melt in the oven, limiting the spread of the cookies. As the cookies crisp up on the outside, they are not able to continue spreading. This keeps them thicker.
- The flavour of the cookies improve the longer the dough is kept refrigerated and they develop a wonderful rich caramel flavour.
If you need your cookie fix in a hurry, make three batches – one to make now, one to age in the fridge for a couple of days, and one to freeze.
If these small cookies are a bit on the small size, consider upsizing to this giant cookie!
This just leaves the all important question – do you like your cookie warm or room temperature?
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground salt
Preheat oven to 347°F / 175°C
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and white and brown sugar till smooth. Mix in the beaten eggs, vanilla essence and salt. Dissolve the baking soda in a teaspoon of water and stir till it dissolves, then add to mixture, blending well. Fold in the cocoa powder and flour. Knead gently to make a dough. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for minimum of 30 minutes.
Roll walnut size amounts, make an indentation and spoon 1/2 teaspoon of nutella before resealing. Flatten slightly and place on a non-stick baking tray, leaving approx. 3 inch spaces between them. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.