With a crispy exterior and fluffy inside, these no-nonsense waffles are quick and simple to make.
Whether for breakfast, or as a snack, whenever I am craving waffles, I need a recipe that is quick and easy, with fabulous results every time.
This recipe makes the best waffles – light and fluffy with a satisfying crispy exterior.
Why I love this recipe
These waffles are a family favourite, and they are so simple to make, the whole family makes them.
The 2 tablespoons of sugar adds a subtle sweetness, so you could even snack on them plain without toppings.
The butter is essential as it really helps crisp up the outside, and I love the golden crispy ridges which form round the outside.
The waffle iron
A good quality waffle iron should heat up quickly, with an even heat distribution and retention. (My first waffle iron was dirt cheap, and sadly fell short of these qualities, creating a hot mess!)
I used a 7-inch regular waffle iron, so this batter makes 6 waffles. However, if your waffle iron makes the extra thick waffles, this recipe will make 4.
How to make them
- Always start with a preheated waffle iron (greased if it is not non-stick).
- In a bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, then stir this into the egg mixture till fully incorporated.
- Pour this batter into the waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove once crispy and golden.
Serve immediately. It really is that easy!
I find that waffle-making always brings out everyone’s most creative and flamboyant ideas. Here are some popular suggestions (give or take a few extra toppings):
- Ice-cream & warm Nutella
- Melted butter & maple syrup
- Whipped cream & sliced fruit
- Serve with a scoop of mascarpone cheese and a drizzle of Strawberry Coulis
I’d love to know, how do you like your waffles?
Need a stack of waffles in a hurry?
Prepare the waffle batter in advance, and store in a sealed bottle in the fridge for up to 5-6 days. That way you will always have batter ready for a quick snack! (especially important in a house with teenagers)
Just remember to always shake the bottle (with the lid on) before using.
More Breakfast ideas
- Banana Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cardamom & Sultana Tea Loaf
- Easy Banana Bread
- Banana Crumb Muffins
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Fluffy Crispy Waffles
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground salt
- Grease the waffle iron (if required), before preheating.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, then add the buttermilk, butter and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and then sift these into the egg mixture. Stir till fully incorporated. (If the mixture seems a bit dry, add a bit of milk.)
- Spoon the batter into the waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions, till crisp and golden.