These easy waffles have a crispy exterior while they are fluffy inside, perfect for a quick and delicious breakfast!
Whether for breakfast, or as a snack, whenever I am craving waffles, I need a recipe that is quick and easy, with fabulous results every time.
This recipe makes the best waffles – light and fluffy with a satisfying crispy exterior.
Why they are so great
These waffles are a family favourite, and they are so simple to make, the whole family makes them.
The 2 tablespoons of sugar adds a subtle sweetness, so you could even snack on them plain without toppings.
The butter is essential as it really helps crisp up the outside, and I love the golden crispy ridges which form round the outside.
The waffle iron
A good quality waffle iron should heat up quickly, with an even heat distribution and retention. (My first waffle iron was dirt cheap, and sadly fell short of these qualities, creating a hot mess!)
I used a 7-inch regular waffle iron, so this batter makes 6 waffles. However, if your waffle iron makes the extra thick waffles, this recipe will make 4.
How to make them
- Always start with a preheated waffle iron (greased if it is not non-stick).
- In a bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, then stir this into the egg mixture till fully incorporated.
- Pour this batter into the waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove once crispy and golden.
Serve immediately. It really is that easy!
I find that waffle-making always brings out everyone’s most creative and flamboyant ideas. Here are some popular suggestions (give or take a few extra toppings):
- Ice-cream & warm Nutella
- Melted butter & maple syrup
- Whipped cream & sliced fruit
- Serve with a scoop of mascarpone cheese or crema pasticcera and a drizzle of Strawberry Coulis
I’d love to know, how do you like your waffles?
Need a stack of waffles in a hurry?
Prepare the waffle batter in advance, and store in a sealed bottle in the fridge for up to 5-6 days. That way you will always have batter ready for a quick snack! (especially important in a house with teenagers)
Just remember to always shake the bottle (with the lid on) before using.
More Breakfast ideas
- Banana Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cardamom & Sultana Tea Loaf
- Easy Banana Bread
- Banana Crumb Muffins
⭐️ Are you making this Fluffy Crispy Waffles recipe? I’d love to know how it turned out in the comments!
⭐️ And if you like it, please give it a 5 star rating below! ⭐️
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Fluffy Crispy Waffles
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon finely ground salt
- Grease the waffle iron (if required), before preheating.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, then add the buttermilk, butter and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and then sift these into the egg mixture. Stir till fully incorporated. (If the mixture seems a bit dry, add a bit of milk.)
- Spoon the batter into the waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions, till crisp and golden. Serve warm.
- Always start with a preheated waffle iron.
- I used a 7-inch regular waffle iron to make 6 waffles. However, if your waffle iron makes extra thick waffles, this recipe will make 4.
- They are best served warm
The ingredients here on EOTF are set out in grams & milliliters and in US cups & spoons.
Nothing like homemade waffles. I need to buy a waffle maker. Great recipe
Waffles are quick and kids favorite breakfast! looks delicious.
Ohh my god, waffle looks so delicious. Cant wait to try.
OMG..I seriously need to buy a waffle maker 🙂 These look so gorgeous and tempting.
Oh my goodness!! Waffles looks so Delicious.. my kids are big waffle fan ..will definitely give your recipe atry!
Looks delicious!!! I’m craving waffles now 😉 Crispy waffles and ice-cream is a hit combination, anyone will love this. Such a wonderful recipe
So easy to make and these are so tempting
I love waffles and yours has come out so well..Kids somehow love the shape right..Good one to make!
They look so wonderfully yum! My husband is a waffle lover, I’m soon going to give this buttermilk version a go…❤️❤️Thanks for sharing Nicole:)
Perfect Breakfast to lift your mood in the morning ?..I love my waffles crispy a little
These waffles look incredibly amazing 🙂 Perfect carrier for any toppings!