Deliciously fluffy and moist Banana Muffins, the cinnamon streusel topping make these really special.
Wondering what to do with those over ripe bananas? These muffins are a great solution and they are really quick and easy to make.
These muffins have a wonderful banana flavour. They are fluffy with a moist interior and are topped with a delicious cinnamon streusel topping.
They are wonderful for breakfast, as a light snack with coffee, or in lunch boxes.
Using frozen bananas
However, if like us, your bananas rarely stick around long enough to become over-ripe, freeze ripe bananas so you always have some on hand. Freeze them with the skin on, or peel them first and transferred to a zip-loc bag. Then bring them to room temperature before using.
Step by step shots
- Preheat the oven. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- Mash the bananas, then add to a bowl with vanilla, sugar, melted butter and eggs. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, then mix till there are no lumps of flour. Take care not to over mix or this will produce dense muffins.
- Line a muffin tray with muffin paper and bake.
For the streusel topping
Combine the brown sugar, flour, ground cinnamon in a mixing bowl, then add butter and mix well. Sprinkle over the muffins and bake.
Stir ½ cup, milk or dark chocolate chips into the batter before spooning into the muffin tray.
Keep the muffins in an airtight container and keep in a cool place.
The muffins also freeze very well. Keep in zip-loc bags for up to 3 months.
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Banana Muffins With Streusel Topping
For the muffins
- 3 over ripe bananas mashed
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 1 ½ cups flour sifted
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch ground sea salt
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- Preheat the oven to 375℃/190℃. Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the 1 ½ cups of flour, the salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a separate large bowl, blend the bananas, vanilla, sugar, melted butter and egg.
- Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture until it is moistened and there are no lumps of flour (take care not to over-mix it).
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tray.
For the streusel topping
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Add the butter and mix well. Sprinkle over the muffins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Freeze ripe bananas so you always have some on hand. They can be frozen with the skin on or peeled and transferred to a zip-loc bag. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Stir the mixture by hand to avoid over-mixing, this avoids a dense muffin.
- Stir ½ cup chocolate chips into the batter before baking.
- Store muffins in an airtight container and leave in a cool place.
- Freeze in a zip-loc bag for up to 3 months.
The ingredients here on EOTF are set out in grams & milliliters and in US cups & spoons.