This popular North Indian vegetarian dish of potatoes with peas, is tasty and simple to make.
This is a really simple dish to make and is a family favourite. I usually make it as a side but it can be enjoyed as a light meal and is wonderful served with steamed rice, warm roti or paratha. Simply add a bit more water if you like more gravy and to serve with rice.
The potatoes (aloo) and peas (muttar) are cooked in a spicy tomato gravy. Flavours come together beautifully as the vegetables, the depth of spices, garlic and ginger, and the sweetness of the onions, are balanced with tomatoes.
Aloo Mattar - Potato and pea curry
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 kg Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 cup passata
- a handful of coriander leaves
- On medium heat, in a saucepan, heat the oil, add the chopped onions, and sauté till golden. Add the cumin seeds and mix well with the onions. Once the aroma of the cumin comes through (after about 1 minute), add the ginger and garlic and allow to cook for a minute. Next stir in the green chillies, turmeric and asafoetida. Then add the potatoes, water, salt and pepper. Cover, turn the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes till tender.
- Add the peas and tomato puree, cover again and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and sprinkle coriander leaves on top. Serve with warm roti.