A popular tasty and simple North Indian vegetarian dish, made with potatoes with peas. This dry version goes well with roti and dosa.
Aloo (potato) and Matar (peas),originally from Punjab in India, is a very simple dish to make and a firm family favourite.
Why it works
The potatoes and peas are cooked in a spicy tomato masala. Flavours come together beautifully as the vegetables, the depth of spices, garlic and ginger, and the sweetness of the onions, are balanced with tomatoes.
How to make it
- Sauté the onions till golden.
- Add the cumin seeds and heat through with the onion.
- Mix in the ginger and garlic, and allow to to cook in the oil for around a minute.
- Stir in the turmeric, chillies and asafoetida.
- Add the chopped potatoes, tomatoes, water, salt and pepper, and stir. Then cover and reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes or till the potatoes are tender.
- Add the peas and cook covered for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with garam masala and chopped cilantro (coriander leaves).
How to serve
I usually make this as a side, but it can be enjoyed warm, as a light meal served with Steamed Rice, hot roti or paratha, or as a stuffing inside a dosa.
To make this with a gravy
Add a bit more water if you like a gravy and to serve with rice.
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Dry Aloo Matar – Potato & Pea Curry
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida powder (optional)
- 1 kilos Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- a handful Cilantro (coriander leaves)
- On medium heat, in a saucepan, heat the oil, add the chopped onions, and sauté till golden.
- Add the cumin seeds and mix well with the onions. Once the aroma of the cumin comes through (after about 1 minute), add the ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Stir in the green chillies, turmeric and asafoetida.
- Add the potatoes, water, salt and pepper. Cover, turn the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes till tender.
- Add the peas and tomato sauce, cover again and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with garam masala and chopped cilantro/coriander leaves. Serve with warm roti, or in dosa.
Only you will see your notes and you can edit them anytime.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically and accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The information above is an estimate per serving.
@ EndoftheFork.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated, however copying and pasting full recipes to social media or other platforms is strictly prohibited.