Last Updated on
Follow these simple steps to make delicious fluffy rice every time.
There are just 4 steps to cooking perfect basmati rice every time: wash, sauté, boil and steam.
Many years ago I found a really old Turkish cookbook which suggested sauté the rice first in butter. This gives a wonderful nutty aroma, the grains are fluffy, and never stick together.
I have been using this technique ever since and it makes a perfect bowl of rice every time!
To start, it is important to use a saucepan with a lid which fits properly so you lose don’t too much steam.
Measurements for making rice
Measure out the amount of rice: 1 serving is approximately 1/2 cup (see below for measurements).
1 cup of rice and 1 1/4 cups of water for 2 people
2 cups of rice and 2 1/2 cups of water for 4 people
3 cups of rice and 3 3/4 cups of water for 6 servings.
How to make fluffy rice
- Rinse the rice well, till the water is no longer cloudy (three times is normally sufficient), and drain. Boil the water in a kettle, or if using a stock, in a saucepan.
- In another saucepan, on medium heat, melt some butter and add the rice. Sauté on medium heat till nicely toasted and the grains are lightly coated in butter.
- Add the boiling water/stock and salt, and stir once. Turn the heat down as low as possible, cover and cook for 10 minutes (until the water is absorbed).
- Once cooked, turn the heat off and keeping the lid on, allow to stand for a further 10 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and serve.
Cook’s Tip: Consider adding a couple of whole Kaffir lime leaves to the rice as it cooks for a deliciously fragrant rice!
Want another rice recipe? Check out my Sehriyeli pilav (Turkish rice).
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
How to cook fluffy rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups freshly boiled water / hot stock
- salt to taste
- Rinse the rice well. In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, melt the butter and add the rice. Gently sauté the rice for 1-2 minutes, ensuring grains are lightly coated in butter.
- Add water/stock and salt (if required) and stir briefly, to mix. Cover and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 10 minutes (until the water is absorbed).
- Once cooked, turn off the heat and keeping the lid on, allow to stand for a further 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve warm.
♥ If you try this recipe, I’d love to see it – on Instagram use #endofthefork and tag me @endofthefork.
For more recipes and latest updates, follow me @endofthefork on social media – see links in the sidebar.
And if you like this recipe, please do leave a comment and/or rate it!