This 7 ingredient chocolate cake with chewy edges & soft rich, gooey centre, takes only 25 minutes to make!
What is Kladdkaka
Kladdkaka is absolutely delicious! It means sticky cake in Swedish and is very popular for fika. (In Swedish culture, Fika is part of everyday life, where people make time to get together over a coffee and pastry or slice of cake.)
Kladdkaka is available in most Swedish cafés, but it is also very easy to make at home, requiring only a handful of ingredients and 20 minutes in the oven.
It is baked just long enough to form a crispy exterior, while remaining soft and dense on the inside.
With its chewy exterior and soft middle, it is like a cross between a brownie and a molten lava cake.
This really is a wonderful cake for entertaining!
How to make Kladdkaka
- Grease an 8-inch baking dish.
- Blend the eggs with the sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, then stir in the butter and vanilla. The mixture will look shiny. Bake on the bottom rack for 20 minutes. Oven cooking times may vary, so take care not to over-bake or it will end up dry.
- The cake is done when the top is firm and cracks under slight pressure.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar (confectioner’s/icing sugar) and serve warm with a scoop of ice-cream, or at room temperature with berries.
To make a gluten free Kladdkaka
Kladdkaka can be made gluten free by substituting the flour for ground almonds (almond flour or almond meal). This will give a slightly more dense texture, with a delicious flavour.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Kladdkaka can be frozen! Wrap the slices individually, then defrost in the fridge. To serve it warm, heat for a few seconds in a microwave.
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup plain flour or same amount of almond flour*
- 3 medium eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 180℃/350℉. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch baking dish. Blend the eggs and sugar till smooth.
- Sift the flour, salt and cocoa powder together, then add to the egg mixture and mix well. Stir vanilla into the melted butter and fold into the mixture till smooth.
- Pour into the baking dish and bake on the bottom rack for 20 minutes. The top and sides should be firm while the inside is soft and gooey. Allow to cool before turning out onto a plate. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve warm with a scoop of ice-cream, or chilled with berries.
♥ If you try this recipe, I’d love to see it – on Instagram use #endofthefork and tag me @endofthefork.
For more recipes and latest updates, follow me @endofthefork on social media – see links in the sidebar.
If you like this recipe, please do comment and/or give it a star rating. Thank you.