A perfectly indulgent dessert, this six ingredient chocolate cake has chewy edges & soft rich, gooey centre and it only takes only 25 minutes to make!
Kladdkaka is a wonderfully rich and indulgent molten chocolate cake from Sweden, though many countries have similar versions.
It means sticky cake in Swedish referring to its gooey centre, and is very popular for fika. In Swedish culture, fika is part of everyday life, where people make time to get together over a coffee and pastry or slice of cake.
Kladdkaka is available in most Swedish cafés, but it is also very easy to make at home, requiring only a handful of ingredients and 20 minutes in the oven.
It is baked just long enough to form a crispy exterior, while remaining soft and dense on the inside.
With its chewy exterior and soft middle, it is like a cross between a brownie and a molten lava cake.
This really is a wonderful cake for entertaining!
How to make Kladdkaka
- Grease a 23 cm/9 inch baking dish.
- Blend the eggs with the sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, then stir in the butter, salt and vanilla. The mixture will look shiny.
- Bake on the bottom rack for 20 minutes. Oven cooking times may vary, so take care not to over-bake or it will end up dry.
- The cake is done when the top is firm and cracks under slight pressure.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar (confectioner’s/icing sugar) and serve warm with a scoop of ice-cream, or at room temperature with berries.
Kladdkaka can be made gluten free by substituting the flour for ground almonds (almond flour or almond meal). This will give a slightly more dense texture, with a delicious flavour.
Kladdkaka is delicious served warm with a scoop of ice cream, or at room temperature with a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of my Easy Strawberry Coulis.
Cover and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Kladdkaka can be frozen! Wrap the slices individually, then defrost in the fridge. To serve it warm, heat for a few seconds in a microwave.
Other cake recipes you may like
⭐️ Are you making this Kladdkaka Gooey Chocolate Cake recipe? I’d love to know how it turned out in the comments!
⭐️ And if you like it, please give it a 5 star rating below! ⭐️
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Kladdkaka – Gooey Chocolate Cake
- 3 medium eggs lightly beaten
- 300 g sugar 1½ cups
- 50 g unsweetened cocoa powder ½ cup
- 120 g plain flour 1 cup
- 113 g butter ½ cup, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160℃ Fan/350℉. Grease the bottom and sides of a loose bottomed 9-inch/23 cm baking dish.
- Blend the eggs and sugar together till smooth and creamy.
- Sift flour and cocoa powder together into the egg mixture and mix till fully blended.
- In a small bowl mix together the vanilla, salt and melted butter, then fold into the mixture till smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake on the bottom rack for 20 minutes till the top and sides are firm, while the centre remains soft. Allow to cool before transferring to a plate.
- Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of strawberry coulis, or at room temperature with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- This cake is slowly cooked at a low heat till the sides become crispy and the centre is soft.
- Kladdkaka is delicious served warm with a scoop of ice cream, or at room temperature with a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of my Easy Strawberry Coulis.
- Cover and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Kladdkaka can be frozen! Wrap the slices individually, then defrost in the fridge. To serve it warm, heat for a few seconds in a microwave.
- Best served warm or at room temperature.