Last Updated on
These masala lamb chops are incredibly tasty and full of flavour.
These flavoursome Lamb chops are melt-in-the mouth perfect. For best results, first tenderise the meat by pounding with a mallet, and then marinate in this yoghurt and masala paste for at least 2 hours before cooking. Allow to rest before serving with rice and vegetables (I used baked butternut squash here) and
garnish with caramelised fried onions.
- 1 kg lamb chops
- 2 cups yoghurt
- salt and black pepper to taste
- oil to shallow fry
For the masala paste
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 star anise
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Grind all the ingredients for the masala paste together and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the yoghurt and masala paste and stir well. Add the chops and turn several times till they are coated with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before cooking and allow to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 180C. In a large frying pan, add enough oil to coat the base of the pan and fry the chops till they are browned on either side.
- Place the chops on an oven tray and bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.