These tasty Lamb Tikka pieces are delicious dipped in chutney as an appetizer, or in a wrap with salad for an easy snack.
In India, tikka refers to small pieces of meat which are usually first marinated in spices and then cooked in a tandoor or roasted. These small pieces of lamb have several layers of flavour, a mild heat, and are wonderfully aromatic.
This recipe works well on the BBQ for a summer cookout, and equally well on an indoor grill. The yogurt and lemon juice tenderize the meat, so 6-8 minutes of medium to high heat on each side renders extremely succulent pieces of meat.
Lamb or goat meat
This recipe works well with lamb or goat meat. In India it is called Mutton Tikka and goat meat is almost always used, however, I use lamb as it is easier to find here in London.
In either case, select boneless pieces and trim off any excess fat.
How to make it
- Prepare the marinade and mix with the lamb/goat meat till all the pieces are well coated.
- Cover and allow to rest in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking, to bring to room temperature.
- Thread the pieces of meat onto skewers or place on a baking sheet to grill. Baste with melted butter for a lovely glaze.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes on each side, turning the skewers/pieces of meat to ensure even cooking.
- Allow the meat to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
How to serve it
- Serve with a tangy Coriander Chutney for a tasty appetizer.
- For a light meal, serve in a wrap with the Chutney and a drizzle of Raita and a generous helping of fresh, crunchy salad – it is delicious!
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And if you like it, please give it a 5 star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork or hashtag #endofthefork
- 2 1/2 pounds lamb or goat meat cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter for basting
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil or vegetable
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt or hung/strained yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon mace powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried fenugreek leaves optional
- salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons Red Chilli Paste or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper & 1 teaspoon paprika
- a pinch chaat masala optional
- Mix together the ingredients for the Masala Marinade to form a smooth paste.
- Pour the paste into a large mixing bowl, and add the lamb pieces, mixing well till all the meat is fully coated. Drizzle the oil over the top and mix into the lamb.
- Cover and chill for 2 to 4 hours. Allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Thread the lamb pieces onto metal skewers or place on a baking sheet, discarding the remaining marinade.
- Place the skewers on a medium heat grill/broil till browned (around 6-8 minutes on each side). Baste with the melted butter for a shiny glaze.
- Allow the meat to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with a sprinkling of chaat masala and serve with a Raita and Chutney (see notes).