We can’t get enough of frickles! Tangy pickles, coated in a delicious light batter and dipped in a spicy aioli!
Celebrating National Picnic week (15-24th June 2018) here in the UK, the good folk over at Mrs Elswood sent over some pickles and this yummy recipe for Frickles!
Listed on menus from MEATliquor to Duck & Waffle, it seems in London we can’t get enough of them, with the Evening Standard mentioning them as a popular new trend.
Frickles are in fact deep-fried pickles. Long time favourites in American Southern and Low country cuisine, they pair nicely with burgers, steak, roasts, and sandwiches.
Mrs Elswood juicy, delicious pickled baby cucumbers are perfect for making frickles. Harvested in the height of cucumber season (June-July), they are crunchy with a delicious fresh and full flavour. Their slightly sweet, tangy, vinegary flavour is nicely balanced with the seasoned light batter. Dipped in the rich aioli with a kick of chilli, they are finger-licking great!
Mrs Elswood have a range of 8 pickled cucumbers, from whole sweet cucumbers to hot, sweet & sour and burger gherkins. Perfect for sandwiches, great in a quiche, or try them in a potato salad.
They are available in Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and from Ocado.
Mrs Elswood Southern Frickles & Sriracha Aioli
- 10 Mrs Elswood cucumber spears with dill
For the seasoned flour
- 200 g plain flour (1.5 cups)
- 150 g cornflour (1.25 cups)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
For the buttermilk
- 280 ml buttermilk (1.25 cups)
- 1 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon dry rosemary
- 1 tablespoon oregano
For the aioli
- 7 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 limes, juiced
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 bunch coriander, chopped
- Preheat fryer to 165℃/330℉.
- Blend all the sriracha aioli ingredients together till smooth and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together all the seasoned flour ingredients. In another bowl, mix together the buttermilk ingredients.
- Coat a pickle in seasoned flour and dust off the excess. Then dip in the buttermilk mixture, and coat in the seasoned flour again. Do this for all the pickles.
- Fry the pickles for approximately 5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the fryer and rest on kitchen paper. Serve with the sriracha aioli.