Last Updated on
This potato salad is a must have at any barbecue or picnic, and is ideal for lunch-boxes. With several layers of flavours such as tangy, salty & sweet and a texture that is creamy, crunchy and fluffy – it’s the best potato salad!
Everyone needs a great potato salad for the summer! This is our favourite potato salad.
If you are making it the same day, allow at least 2 hours to chill to allow the flavours to come together. However, this is tastes even better if made the day before to enjoy the full depth of flavours, making it ideal for picnics or lunch-boxes.
This salad is a perfect accompaniment to grilled meats, fish, or as part of a salad medley.
Why this works
- This potato salad is creamy, crunchy, fluffy and light!
- Adding vinegar to the water at the beginning prevents the potatoes from overcooking and becoming mushy.
- Mixing the potatoes with a little vinegar after draining, adds a layer of flavour.
- The combination tangy, salty and slightly sweet ingredients work beautifully together.
- This is a great make-ahead dish as it tastes even better after resting for a few hours and the flavours have had a chance to really come together!
How to make the perfect potato salad
- Place the washed and peeled potatoes in a pot of salted cold water with a splash of vinegar and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer till potatoes are fork tender.
- Once tender, drain and allow the potatoes to cool.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and add a tablespoon of vinegar, the chopped celery, gherkins, and onion.
- Separately, in a small bowl, make the dressing by mixing together the mustard, garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, salt & pepper.
- Add the dressing to the potatoes, gently mixing everything together so the potatoes are fully coated.
- Garnish with sliced hard boiled eggs for extra creaminess and parsley.
- Cover and chill for at least two hours.
Chef’s tip: It is important to add the potatoes to cold water rather than boiling, as otherwise they tend to cook too quickly on the outside and remain raw inside.
More barbecue sides
Click here for tips on how to store potatoes
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
The Best Potato Salad
- 4 medium potatoes washed and peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon gherkins chopped
- 1 small red onion chopped finely
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 hard boiled eggs quartered
- a few springs fresh parsley
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon gherkin pickle water (optional)
- In a large saucepan add the halved potatoes and cold water till potatoes are submerged. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes or till they are fork tender.
- Drain the water away and allow the potatoes to cool.
- Once cooled, cut the potatoes into bite size pieces, then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, the celery, onion, and gherkins. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Separately, in a small bowl make the dressing by combining the garlic, mustard, sugar, pickle water, mayonnaise and sour cream. Gently stir this into the potato salad, then garnish with sliced eggs and parsley .
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
♥ If you try this recipe, I’d love to see it – on Instagram use #endofthefork and tag me @endofthefork.
For more recipes and latest updates, follow me @endofthefork on social media – see links in the sidebar.
This post was updated on 20th May, 2019.