Turn leftover rice into a wonderfully fragrant Indian dessert in just 10 minutes.
This Saffron & Cardamom Kheer is super fast to make, very fragrant and flavoursome.
Use leftover boiled rice to make this quick and delicious kheer, an Indian version of rice pudding. One cup of leftover rice is all you need.
If you don’t have leftover rice, try this Kheer from scratch for a richer flavour and creamier texture.
About the ingredients
Kheer should be made with whole milk as it is a creamy dessert.
Condensed milk replicates the rich, creaminess of the Kheer recipe above, which develop with prolonged cooking.
This kheer is flavoured with saffron and cardamom, two spices commonly used in Indian desserts.
Grind the strands of saffron using a pestle and mortar, for maximum flavour. Then soak in water for at least 30 minutes to release its water soluble flavours – this also gives wonderful colour.
Stir the the saffron water into the kheer and mix well till it develops an orange-yellow colour.
Garnish with saffron, crushed roasted nuts and/or small pieces of freshly cut mango. It can be served warm or chilled.
Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Then, defrost overnight in the fridge.
More spiced desserts
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Saffron & Cardamon Kheer
- a few strands of saffron
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cardamom pods crushed
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- a pinch salt
- Grind the strands of saffron to a powder and soak in cold water. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat the milk with the cardamom till almost boiling, then reduce heat and remove the pods.
- Add the rice and salt, stirring occasionally, and bring to a boil.
- Using a hand blender, coarsely blend the rice.
- Mix in the condensed milk and saffron water, and continue to cook on medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve warm or chilled.