This 15 minute, egg-free chocolate pudding is silky smooth with a sophisticated cardamom flavour.
Cardamom is one of those spices which work incredibly well in sweet and savoury dishes. Popular in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine – and in Sweden where it is used in cakes, pastries, to flavour drinks and savoury dishes.
Chocolate with cardamom
Use a good quality cocoa powder and whole green cardamom.
The chocolate and cardamom work wonderfully together, combining the rich chocolate flavour with the aromatic floral and slightly citrus flavour of cardamom.
Using cardamom pods
Cardamom pods and seeds are both used to add an exotic intense and complex flavour. They are smashed/crushed to release the full flavour. Smashing them and then removing them later is better as the pods do not pulverise well in a grinder and I would stay away from store-bought powder which is not nearly as flavoursome as the whole pods.
Make the cardamom milk
Crush a couple of pods to expose the seeds inside and then add them to the milk. As it heats, the cardamom’s unique aroma and flavour is released.
Before the milk is added to the chocolate mixture, remove the pods with a spoon or strainer.
How to make it
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan and add crushed cardamom pods.
- Before it starts to boil, remove from heat and strain away the cardamom and set the warm milk aside.
- In another small saucepan, combine the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Turn the heat to medium and slowly blend the milk into the dry ingredients while stirring.
- Stir occasionally to avoid sticking at the bottom. Boil for one minute only, stirring as it thickens, then Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla essence, stirring well and pour into little pots. Allow to set on the counter, or refrigerate till set (around 10 minutes).
This pudding can be served straight away, or chilled. Enjoy!
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
More chocolate recipes
Chocolate & Cardamom Pudding
- ½ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk warm
- 2 pods cardamom crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk and add the crushed cardamom pods (using pods and seeds).
- Before it starts to boil, remove from heat and strain away the cardamom. Set the warm milk aside.
- In another small saucepan, combine the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Turn the heat on to medium and slowly pour and blend the milk into the dry ingredients while stirring.
- Stir occasionally to avoid sticking at the bottom. Once it starts boiling, allow to boil for one minute only, stirring as it thickens. Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla essence, stirring well into mix. Pour into little pots and allow to set on the counter, or refrigerate till set (around 10 minutes).
The ingredients here on EOTF are set out in grams & milliliters and in US cups & spoons.
♥ If you try this recipe, I’d love to see it – on Instagram use #endofthefork and tag me @endofthefork.
For more recipes and latest updates, follow me @endofthefork on social media – see links in the sidebar.