A tasty spicy shrimp pasta, with a rich garlic tomato sauce! A perfect weeknight dinner!
Pasta with shrimps is a perfect weeknight dinner as it only requires a handful of ingredients and is ready in just 15 minutes.
The flavours of this dish come together beautifully – tender shrimps in a rich, spicy, garlicky tomato sauce. The textures of the perfectly cooked pasta, the crunch of the prawns and a smooth spicy sauce are quite satisfying.
In the mood for pasta? Check out our pasta with ricotta and tomato sauce, or try this basil pesto sauce with any shape pasta. If you are in the mood for a comforting pasta soup try our pasta fagioli soup or authentic Italian minestrone soup.
To boil the pasta, ensure the pan is filled with enough water so the pasta is fully submerged. Use a pan large enough to so the boiling water can pass around each piece of pasta. This way the pasta will cook uniformly not stick together.
Cook the pasta according to instructions on the packet, reducing the amount of time by 1 minute. (Later, the pasta will be cooked together with the sauce for the remaining minute).
The spicy sauce with shrimps takes only a few minutes to make. Start preparing it while the pasta is cooking.
In a large skillet, heat the oil together with the garlic and red chilli flakes. This way the garlic and chilli slowly infuse the oil with flavour. Then add the tomato puree – this is richer and creamier than using tinned tomatoes. Salt and pepper next, and add the shrimps.
I used 1 cup of frozen shrimps. If you are using fresh shrimps, they will need to be prepared/cleaned for cooking ahead of time – also, add another couple of minutes to the cooking time to make sure they are cooked through.
Once the pasta is done, drain, reserving around ½ a cup of the pasta water as the starchy water will add a lovely creaminess to the sauce.
Add the pasta and the ½ cup pasta water to the shrimp sauce in the same skillet, and cook over a medium/high heat for a minute, before serving.
It is best eaten the same day but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container and keep in the fridge for up to 24 hours (the pasta will be too starchy if it is kept for any longer).
Did you make this spicy shrimp pasta? Please leave a rating and a comment below!
Spicy shrimp pasta
- water to boil pasta, 1 teaspoon salt, 8 ounces penneBring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to instructions on the packet, reducing cooking time by 1 minute.
- 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, minced, a pinch chilli flakes, 75 grams tomato paste, 1 cup frozen shrimps, ground black pepperIn the meantime, on a medium flame, heat the oil with the chilli and garlic in a large skillet. As the garlic begins to turn golden, add the tomato paste and stir. Add salt and pepper, then add the shrimps. Cook for 3-4 minutes, till the shrimps are heated through.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water. Add the pasta (with the ½ cup pasta water) to the sauce in the skillet. Return to flame, stir and cook on a medium/high heat for 1 minute. Serve straight away.
- To boil the pasta, ensure the pan is filled with enough water so the pasta is fully submerged. Use a pan large enough to so the boiling water can pass around each piece of pasta. This way the pasta will cook uniformly not stick together.
- It is best eaten the same day but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container and keep in the fridge for up to 24 hours (the pasta will be too starchy if it is kept for any longer).
The ingredients here on EOTF are set out in grams & milliliters and in US cups & spoons.