A tasty spicy shrimp pasta, with a rich garlic tomato sauce! A perfect weeknight dinner!
This is a perfect weeknight dinner as it only requires a handful of ingredients, and is ready in just 15 minutes.
The flavours of this dish come together beautifully – tender shrimps in a rich, spicy, garlicky tomato sauce. The textures of the perfectly cooked pasta, the crunch of the prawns and a smooth spicy sauce are quite satisfying.
Cook the pasta according to instructions on the packet, reducing the amount of time by 1 minute. (Later, the pasta will be cooked together with the sauce for the remaining minute).
The spicy sauce with shrimps takes only a few minutes to make. Start preparing it while the pasta is cooking.
In a large skillet, heat the oil together with the garlic and red chilli flakes. This way the garlic and chilli slowly infuse the oil with flavour. Then add the tomato puree – this is richer and creamier than using tinned tomatoes. Salt and pepper next, and add the shrimps.
I used 1 cup of frozen shrimps. If you are using fresh shrimps, they will need to be prepared/cleaned for cooking ahead of time – also, add another couple of minutes to the cooking time to make sure they are cooked through.
Once the pasta is done, drain, reserving around 1/2 a cup of the pasta water as the starchy water will add a lovely creaminess to the sauce.
Add the pasta and the 1/2 cup pasta water to the shrimp sauce in the same skillet, and cook over a medium/high heat for a minute, before serving.
Spicy shrimp pasta
- water to boil pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- a pinch chilli flakes adjust to your taste
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen shrimps or fresh, peeled and deveined
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to instructions on the packet, reducing cooking time by 1 minute.
- In the meantime, on a medium flame, heat the oil with the chilli and garlic in a large skillet. As the garlic begins to turn golden, add the tomato paste and stir. Season, then add the shrimps. Cook for 3-4 minutes, till the shrimps are heated through.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Add the pasta (with the 1/2 cup pasta water) to the sauce in the skillet. Return to flame, stir and cook on a medium/high heat for 1 minute. Serve straight away.