This Pasta & Borlotti Bean Soup is thick, creamy, full of flavour, and makes a delicious easy anytime meal in just 15 minutes.
This classic Italian soup is one of my favourites. Packed full of flavour, it take only 15 minutes to prepare.
Pasta and bean soup
Pasta e fagioli, (Pasta and beans) is a classic Italian soup served all the year round. Different regions in Italy prepare it in different ways, using different types of beans such as borlotti, cannellini or garbanzo.
The starches from the beans and pasta make this soup smooth and creamy. It is thick, comforting, wholesome, and utterly delicious!
What type of beans to use
For this version, I used borlotti beans (also known as also known as cranberry beans), combined with a little rosemary.
Although summer is the season for fresh borlotti beans, this soup can also be made with dried or canned beans (I use good quality canned borlotti beans here).
How to make it
- In a small saucepan, add the oil, garlic and rosemary.
- On medium heat soften the garlic till it softens and just starts to change colour (don’t let it brown).
- Add ¾ of the beans without the water, reserving the rest of the beans and water for later.
- Heat the beans through, then roughly mash them with a fork.
- Add 1 cup water and a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil.
- Now add the pasta of your choice (cooking times vary depending on which type of pasta you use), and boil till cooked.
- Add remaining beans and the liquid and heat through for another 2 minutes.
- Follow my Tips for Storing Herbs to ensure you always have rosemary on hand.
- In a saucepan, add the oil, garlic and rosemary before turning on the heat so they warm slowly, releasing their oils, and to prevent burning.
- Adjust the amount of water according to the type of pasta used and how thick you like your soup.
How to serve it
This is a great make ahead soup as the flavours really come together after allowing it to rest for a while (at least 30 minutes).
Serve warm or at room temperature, with grated parmesan cheese and a drizzle of good olive oil.
More Soup recipes
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Pasta Fagioli Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove minced fresh garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 150 grams (or 5 ounce) can borlotti beans and the liquid do not rinse the beans
- 1 cup small pasta any type will do
- 1 cup warm water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a small saucepan, add the oil, garlic and rosemary*. Turn the heat on to medium and soften the garlic till it starts to soften and change colour (don't let it brown).
- Add ¾ of the can of beans, reserving the rest of the beans and water for later.
- Heat the beans through and then mash them with a fork.
- Add 1 cup water, and a pinch of salt, then bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and boil till it is cooked (see cooking time on the pasta packet).
- Add the remaining beans and liquid from the tin. Heat through and serve with some grated parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.