This easy tuna and bean salad from Tuscany, is a healthy and delicious light meal.
This salad is a typical dish from Tuscany. This cuisine, noted for its simplicity and use of fresh seasonal ingredients, is healthy and rich in flavour. Beans are a popular ingredient in the region and are consumed throughout the year in favourites such as Pasta e fagioli, Ribollita, and Fagioli all’ucelletto.
For this salad I have used canned cannellini beans (rather than the dry variety) and tuna, as they work perfectly well here. It is incredibly easy to put this together and quite rewarding.
Often served as an antipasto, this salad can also be enjoyed as a light meal as temperatures begin to rise. The delicate taste of tuna with lemon juice, parsley and onions is very refreshing.
Tip: If you find the taste of freshly cut raw onions a bit strong, soak them in a bowl of cold water with a teaspoon of vinegar for approximately 10 minutes before draining and adding them to the salad.
Serve with bread to soak up the dressing.
Tuna and bean salad
- 2 tins 15oz/400g cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tins 6oz/200g tuna, in oil, drained
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, break up the tuna into large pieces. Add the beans. In a separate medium size bowl, prepare the dressing by mixing the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well and pour over the tuna and beans. Add the onion and mix. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or till ready to serve.