Last Updated on
Forget the mayo, these healthy avocado halves stuffed with a tuna and jalapeño mix are seriously additive, and only take 5 minutes to prepare!
These avocado halves are so tasty and easy to put together in no time at all!
They are perfect for a healthy, low-carb/keto snack or light meal, and are so satisfying, they will keep you feeling full for longer.
Why it works
Select good quality ingredients, to really appreciate the flavours, such as a good olive oil.
A ripe, smooth and creamy avocado makes a perfect container for this mixture.
The delicate flavour of tuna, combines perfectly with the hot, tangy crunch of jalapeños. Adding jalapeño water gives it an extra kick! (I use Mezzetta’s Tamed Jalapeño peppers for this recipe, if you like more heat, try a hotter jalapeño)
How to select a good avocado
To use immediately – A ripe avocado should be firm (not hard), with a slight ‘give’ when you press it.
To be absolutely certain your avocado is not rotten, remove the small brown stem from the top. If it is green, it is good. If it is brown or black, chances are it is overripe or moldy. Also, the skin should not feel loose, as this would indicate the avocado is going bad.
For another day – An unripe avocado will take a few days to ripen naturally.
To ripen an avocado quickly – place it next to some bananas or apples. The ethylene gas produced from these fruits will speed up the ripening process. Remember to check it regularly to ensure it doesn’t over-ripen.
Choosing canned tuna
Select a good quality brand of tuna, and preferably one that is in olive oil so that the tuna remains moist. I find the ‘no drain’ tuna and those in brine to be a little dry. Select tuna chunks or steak so the tuna is firm and flaky rather than mushy or watery. It should not taste fishy, but have a clean ocean flavour.
I use the Italian brand Rio Mare as I like the flavour and it has a good texture. They farm their tuna responsibly and check the fish to ensure lower mercury levels.
To prepare Avocado with Tuna and Jalapeño
- Slice a ripe avocado lengthways, through the middle and season with salt and pepper.
- Use a fork to break up the tuna. If using a good quality tuna, you can leave a few big chunks as they will be moist and have a lovely flavour. If your tuna is slightly dry, then break it up to make smaller flakes.
- Chop up the sliced jalapeños. Its up to you how small you want them – I like the crunch so I either halve or quarter them.
- Add some pickled jalapeño liquid for that extra kick, and to add a bit of acidity. Mix it all together and spoon it into the middle of the avocado halves. Serve straight away!
Cook’s Tip: You can prepare the mixture ahead, and keep in an airtight container in the fridge till the next day. Slice the avocado just before using or it will turn brown.
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Avocado with tuna and jalapeños
- 1 ripe avocado medium
- 3 oz tuna 80g
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeños chopped
- 1 tablespoon liquid from the jar of jalapeños or vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil to drizzle
- Cut the avocado in half lengthways, and remove the seed. Season each half with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, break up the tuna with a fork. Add the jalapeños, liquid or vinegar, and drizzle with olive oil. Season again, then scoop into each avocado half and serve.
♥ If you try this recipe, I’d love to see it – on Instagram use #endofthefork and tag me @endofthefork.
For more recipes and latest updates, follow me @endofthefork on social media – see links in the sidebar.
Update notes: This post was originally published on December 11th, 2017, but was republished with new photos, tips, and FAQ’s in March, 2019.