This is a very simple recipe to make a delicious bowl of oatmeal porridge.
As a delicious breakfast or healthy snack, porridge is good for you, easy to make and will keep those hunger pangs away.
I never bother soaking jumbo oats overnight and just cook them straight from the packet. Toasting the oats first brings out a delicious nutty flavour. Some people add a pinch of salt but if you are adding sweet garnishes I don’t feel this is necessary.
You could just use water to cook the oats, but adding milk gives a lovely creamy richness to the porridge.
Click here to read about the health benefits of oats.
Here are some ideas for garnishes:
- Baked bananas with a sprinkling of Demerara sugar
- Homemade apple sauce with raisins and a pinch of cinnamon powder
- Chopped dates or prunes
- Figs or mango purée and cardamom
- Peanut butter and strawberries
- Maple syrup and a small piece of butter
- Pumpkin, and sunflower seeds
- Pomegranate seeds and pistachio nuts
- Fresh berries, honey, Nutella, nut butter, nuts, etc
How do you like your porridge?
- 1 cup jumbo oats
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- pinch of salt
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and toast the oats till they are fragrant. Transfer the oats to a small saucepan, and on medium heat, add the water, salt and milk and stir. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer, stirring continuously. After approximately 5 minutes, or once the porridge looks creamy and has the desired consistency, turn off the heat, cover and allow to steam for another 5 minutes. Garnish as you wish.