These wonderful shortbread cookies are rich and buttery and have a subtle lemon flavour. With a crunchy exterior while remaining tender inside; they just melt in the mouth!
This is not a recipe for the traditional Shortbread Biscuit, but rather my take on a Shortbread Cookie.
What are Shortbread cookies?
Shortbread biscuits are from Scotland where they are considered a luxurious treat, normally associated with Christmas or celebrations.
Made of butter, sugar and flour, they hold their shape well. They are baked at a low temperature which gives them a light golden colour.
A typical shortbread recipe simply calls for flour, butter and sugar.
To take these to another level, I’ve added a few ingredients (an egg, some lemon and vanilla) to make them even more delicious!
Why it works
The egg yolk here adds a richness, keeps the cookies tender inside, and helps the dough to keep its shape.
With the addition of a subtle lemon zest and vanilla essence, they taste amazing!
How to make them
- Cream together the butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk, lemon zest and vanilla, and mix well.
- Fold in the flour to make a smooth dough.
- Wrap in a plastic wrap and chill for around 30 minutes. (See my Nutella Cookie recipe on the benefits of chilling cookie dough)
- On a floured surface, roll out the cookie dough and stamp out shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and brush with the beaten egg white.
- Bake till the cookies are a light golden color, then cool before dusting with powdered/icing sugar.
These cookies are perfect with coffee or tea.
Drizzle with Lemon Icing for a stronger lemon flavour.
Try these cookie recipes
Click here for more cookie recipes
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 cup butter softened
- salt a pinch
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg yolk and white separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- flour for dusting
- confectioners sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 320°F/160°C.
- Using an electric mixer, in a mixing bowl, cream together the butter with the sugar till light and fluffy.
- Stir in the egg yolk, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Fold in the flour and knead gently to make a smooth dough.
- Wrap in wax wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a 1 cm thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, press out the cookies. Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Beat the egg white till frothy and brush over the cookies.
- Bake for 18 minutes, until light golden. Allow to cool on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
The ingredients here on EOTF are set out in grams & milliliters and in US cups & spoons.
I love shortbread it reminds me of when I was young. This recipe looks fantastic I’ll need to try it!
Thanks Emily, do tag me if you do, I’d love to see them 🙂
Wow another must saved delicious Cookies . Thanks for sharing. It’s my daughter’s favorite.
Thanks Melve, I’m sure she will love these!
I don’t really have much of a sweet tooth but I do have an massive weakness for shortbread, these sound and look delicious!
I know what you mean Brian, I believe shortbread shouldn’t be too sweet.