These wonderful shortbread cookies are rich and buttery and have a subtle lemon flavour. With a crunchy exterior while remaining tender inside; they just melt in the mouth!
A typical shortbread recipe simply calls for flour, butter and sugar. To take these to another level, I’ve added a few ingredients to make these really delicious cookies!
The egg yolk here adds a richness, keeps the cookies tender inside, and helps the dough to keep its shape. With the addition of a subtle lemon zest and vanilla essence, they taste amazing!
These are perfect with coffee or tea.
Drizzle with this lemon icing to add a stronger lemon flavour.
- 2/3 cup fine sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg, yolk and white separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- flour for dusting
- confectioners' sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 320°F/160°C. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter with the sugar till light and fluffy. Stir in the egg yolk, lemon zest and vanilla essence. Fold in the flour and knead gently to make a smooth dough. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a 1 cm thickness. Using a cookie cutter, press out the cookies. Place the cookies on a greased baking sheet. Beat the egg white till frothy and brush over the cookies. Bake for 18 minutes, until light golden. Allow to cool on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar.