These wonderful shortbread cookies are rich and buttery and have a subtle lemon flavour. With a crunchy exterior while remaining tender inside; they just melt in the mouth!
This is not a recipe for the traditional Shortbread Biscuit, but rather my take on a Shortbread Cookie.
What are Shortbread cookies?
Shortbread biscuits are from Scotland where they are considered a luxurious treat, normally associated with Christmas or celebrations.
Made of butter, sugar and flour, they hold their shape well. They are baked at a low temperature which gives them a light golden colour.
A typical shortbread recipe simply calls for flour, butter and sugar.
To take these to another level, I’ve added a few ingredients (an egg, some lemon and vanilla) to make them even more delicious!
Why it works
The egg yolk here adds a richness, keeps the cookies tender inside, and helps the dough to keep its shape.
With the addition of a subtle lemon zest and vanilla essence, they taste amazing!
How to make them
- Cream together the butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk, lemon zest and vanilla, and mix well.
- Fold in the flour to make a smooth dough.
- Wrap in a plastic wrap and chill for around 30 minutes. (See my Nutella Cookie recipe on the benefits of chilling cookie dough)
- On a floured surface, roll out the cookie dough and stamp out shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and brush with the beaten egg white.
- Bake till the cookies are a light golden color, then cool before dusting with powdered/icing sugar.
These cookies are perfect with coffee or tea.
Drizzle with Lemon Icing for a stronger lemon flavour.
Try these cookie recipes
Click here for more cookie recipes
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 cup butter softened
- salt a pinch
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg yolk and white separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- flour for dusting
- confectioners sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 320°F/160°C.
- Using an electric mixer, in a mixing bowl, cream together the butter with the sugar till light and fluffy.
- Stir in the egg yolk, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Fold in the flour and knead gently to make a smooth dough.
- Wrap in wax wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a 1 cm thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, press out the cookies. Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Beat the egg white till frothy and brush over the cookies.
- Bake for 18 minutes, until light golden. Allow to cool on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Only you will see your notes and you can edit them anytime.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically and accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The information above is an estimate per serving.
@ EndoftheFork.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated, however copying and pasting full recipes to social media or other platforms is strictly prohibited.