This simple recipe makes delicious soft and chewy sugar cookies in 20 minutes.
These drop cookies are so quick and easy to make; just 10 minutes to make the cookie dough, drop them on the tray, and 8 minutes to bake.
They can be baked straight away as they don’t require chilling and there is no need to roll out the dough. Simply roll the dough into small balls, coat them in sugar (or sprinkles) and arrange them a couple of inches apart as they do spread out.
For soft and pale cookies, bake for 8 minutes (if your oven has hot spots, you may need to turn the tray around halfway through). For a crisp edged cookie, bake for around 10 minutes, till the edges turn golden.
Tip: A scoop of ice cream between a couple of these cookies makes a delicious ice cream sandwich!
Chewy soft sugar cookies
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- a dash salt
- 1 cup butter, softened (not melted)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for rolling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375℉/190℃.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar till smooth, then mix in the egg, vanilla and almond extracts. Gradually fold in the dry ingredients to make a smooth dough.
- Roll the dough into small round balls, then coat in sugar. Place the balls a couple of inches apart, on an ungreased baking tray. Bake for 8-9 minutes. Leave on the tray for 2 minutes before removing to cool.
Try these cookie recipes:
♥ If you try this recipe, I’d love to see it – on Instagram use #endofthefork and tag me @endofthefork.
For more recipes and latest updates, follow me @endofthefork on social media – see links in the sidebar.
If you like this recipe, please do comment and/or give it a star rating. Thank you.