An easy, sweet and tart lemon icing to drizzle over muffins, cakes or cookies.
I love that it only takes a few minutes to make and adds a lovely sweet tanginess to a dessert.
And it is really simple and easy to prepare!
Click the Subscribe button above to get more recipes like this into your inbox.
How to make it
This recipe only requires 6 ingredients:
- confectioner’s sugar
- butter, vanilla,
- salt – to help accentuate the flavours.
- lemon juice
- only a small amount of milk – careful though, any more and your icing will curdle.
Simply mix all the ingredients together and beat till smooth and creamy. Use straight away, before it starts to harden.
Make this icing with different flavors
The citrus lemon gives a wonderful fresh taste, but you may want to change the flavour to go with other desserts.
In that case, you could substitute the lemon juice with a teaspoon of strong espresso coffee, almond extract, or orange blossom water.
For an artistic flare, make separate batches of icing, mixed with a few drops of food colouring.
How to use it
Make this icing after your dessert e.g. Banana Bread, has had a chance to cool, then drizzle it straight away to form a thin, almost transparent glaze.
Set aside for around 10-15 minutes for the icing to harden before serving.
How to store it
Cover and keep in the fridge for up to 48 hours. As it will have hardened slightly, mix well before using.
Try lemon icing with these
You may also like …
Are you making this recipe for lemon icing? I’d love to know how it turned out in the comments below and don’t forget to give it a star rating!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
- 130 cup icing sugar/confectioner's sugar 1 cup
- 75 grams melted butter ⅓ cup
- 80 milliliters lemon juice ⅓ cup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons milk
- a pinch of salt
- 130 cup icing sugar/confectioner's sugar, 75 grams melted butter, 80 milliliters lemon juice, 2 teaspoons milk, a pinch of salt, ½ teaspoon vanillaIn a small bowl, using a small whisk, mix all the ingredients together till smooth and creamy.
The ingredients here on EOTF are set out in grams & milliliters and in US cups & spoons.