This is an excellent quick and easy chicken curry. It has a thin sauce but it is full of flavour.
This Chicken curry is perfect to feed the whole family, and you can have it ready in roughly 30 minutes.
Although this requires quite a few spices, they combine beautifully to give a wonderful depth to the curry.
Chicken on the bone vs boneless chicken
I prefer using chicken on the bone as it remains succulent and develops a fantastic flavour. Cubed chicken breasts on the other hand, could become dry and tend not to absorb as much flavour. Remove the skin and cut each small chicken into 8 pieces.
How to make it
- Fry the onions in oil till golden.
- Add the ginger and garlic, then the tomatoes and lightly fry for around 5 minutes, till it is like a paste.
- Mix in the chilli flakes, turmeric, salt and green chillies.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir till they are coated in the sauce. Cover and allow to simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the spices by grinding together the spices to a coarse powder. Mix this in with the chicken and stir till evenly coated.
- Add water and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes till chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
- It is important to freshly grind the spices just before you use them. Do this and you will see why – the aroma is absolutely amazing and far better than packets of ready ground spice.
- Adjust the heat to make it as hot or mild as you like.
Serve with steamed Basmati Rice.
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Punjabi Chicken Curry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 3 small chickens skin removed, and each cut into 8 pieces
- 4 medium onions thinly sliced
- 2 inches ginger julienned
- 2 cloves garlic pureed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 2 inches turmeric root sliced finely, or 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 2 whole green chillies julienned
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 4 pieces black cardamom
- 10-20 whole black peppercorns
- 2 inches cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 3 bay leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat and sauté the sliced onions till golden brown.
- Add the fresh garlic and ginger and stir, then add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes till it is like a paste.
- Mix in the chilli flakes, turmeric, salt and green chillies and keep stirring to avoid sticking.
- Add the chicken and stir till the pieces are coated in the sauce. Cover and allow to simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the spices.
- Grind the spices together (from the spice mix list) to a coarse powder. Stir into the chicken and cook covered for another 5 minutes.
- Add the water to the chicken, stir and simmer on low heat for a further 15-20 minutes or till the chicken is cooked through. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with steamed basmati rice.