Last Updated on
This is an excellent quick and easy chicken curry. It has a thin sauce but it is full of flavour.
Although this requires quite a few spices, they combine beautifully to give a wonderful depth to the curry.
I prefer using chicken on the bone as it remains succulent and develops a fantastic flavour. Cubed chicken breasts on the other hand, could become dry and tend not to absorb as much flavour. Remove the skin and cut each small chicken into 8 pieces.
You can adjust the heat to make it as hot or mild as you like.
It is important to freshly grind the spices just before you use them. Do this and you will see why – the aroma is absolutely amazing and far better than packets of ready ground spice.
This Chicken curry is perfect to feed the whole family, and you can have it ready in roughly 30 minutes.
Serve with steamed basmati rice.
Punjabi chicken curry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 3 small full chickens skin removed, and each cut into 8 pieces
- 4 medium onions thinly sliced
- 2 inches ginger julienned
- 2 cloves garlic pureed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 2 inches turmeric root sliced finely or 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 2 whole green chillies julienned
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 4 pieces black cardamom
- 10-20 whole black peppercorns
- 2 inches piece of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 3 bay leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat and sauté the sliced onions till golden brown. Add the fresh garlic and ginger and stir. Pour in the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes till it is like a paste.
- Mix in the chilli flakes, turmeric, salt and green chillies and keep stirring. Next, add the chicken and stir till it is coated in the sauce. Cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the spices.
- Grind all the spices, from the spice mix list, to a coarse powder. Add this to the chicken, stir, and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Add the water to the chicken and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes or till the chicken is cooked through. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with steamed basmati rice.