A perfect cooling accompaniment to almost any spicy main course. This 3-step raita can be enjoyed as a side dish or dip.
A cooling raita is a staple in most types of Indian cuisine. This easy raita recipe takes just 5 minutes to prepare in 3 easy steps.
What is raita?
Raita is a side dish made with yogurt and spices. It is popular throughout India offering a cooling balance to accompanying spicy dishes.
There are many different types of raita, some are made with small pieces of fried batter, a tadka (a tempering of spices), fruit or vegetables.
Why this raita works
Cucumber and onion raita is rather like a salad in yogurt. The combination makes a wonderful side for any vegetable or meat curry, kebabs or even rice and daal. It can also be enjoyed as a dip with freshly made roti or paratha.
The contrasting textures of smooth yogurt with crunchy onions and cucumber, is very satisfying, while the mixture of cold with fresh raw ingredients is deliciously refreshing.
What kind of yogurt to use
In India raita is prepared with dahi which is curd and whey. This is preferable to using strained yogurt such as the Greek or Turkish varieties. Select a good live yogurt.
Three easy steps
- Stir the yogurt till it is a smooth consistency.
- Stir in the cucumber, onions, garlic, salt and green chilli.
- Garnish with the cumin and red chilli powders, and black pepper.
You can serve it straight away, but I recommend making it 30 minutes to an hour ahead to allow time for it to chill. This allows the flavours to come together beautifully, and it tastes better cold.
Try it with these recipes
This raita goes well with any of these spicy dishes:
You may also like …
⭐️ Are you making this Raita recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Cucumber And Onion Raita
- 500 grams yogurt 2 cups
- salt to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ English cucumber ½ cup, grated
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 small green chilli chopped
- a pinch red chilli powder
- a pinch cumin powder
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 500 grams yogurtIn a bowl, stir the yogurt till smooth.
- salt, ½ English cucumber, 1 small onion, 1 small green chilli, 1 clove garlicAdd the cucumber, onions, garlic, salt, and green chilli.
- a pinch red chilli powder, a pinch cumin powder, black pepperSprinkle the cumin and chilli powder over the top and some ground black pepper. Refrigerate and serve chilled.
Only you will see your notes and you can edit them anytime.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically and accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The information above is an estimate per serving.
@ EndoftheFork.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated, however copying and pasting full recipes to social media or other platforms is strictly prohibited.