This colourful roasted beet salad is super tasty and nutrient rich. It is sweet and tangy, crunchy and creamy, and satisfying!
Delicious flavours and wonderful textures are why this salad is just so popular. The soft, earthy caramalized beets, crunchy raw carrots, and juicy sultanas are balanced perfectly by the creamy white Stilton and tangy pomegranate syrup.
Packed with vitamins and minerals, this certainly is feel-good food!
Serve with roasted/barbecued meats, or as a light meal with a piece of freshly baked bread to soak up the dressing.
Click the subscribe button above to get more recipes like this to your inbox.
How to roast beets
- Roast the beets for a delicious full flavour. First wash them carefully so the skins don’t split.
- Place them on a baking tray, leaving their skins on so the juices don’t run. There’s no need to add oil.
- Bake at 375°F/190°C for 1 hour, or till tender enough to be pierced by a fork.
- Allow to cool and peel off the skins before cutting each beet into quarters. This could be done a day ahead.
- Store the beets in the fridge for easy prep the following day.
Pro tip: to remove beet stains easily from fingers and more information on beets, read our ultimate guide to beets.
The sultanas I used are from the brand Crazy Jack Organic (I used them to make this yummy Cardamom and Sultana Tea Loaf).
No need to soak them first as they are juicy as they are.
If you don’t have sultanas, you can use raisins.
Assemble the salad
- Combine the beets, sultanas and carrots in a bowl and set aside.
- Make the dressing by combining the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and pour over the beets.
- Garnish with crumbled Stilton cheese, a drizzle of pomegranate syrup, and chopped mint and cilantro (coriander leaves).
You may also like …
Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
- 5 medium beets or use store bought cooked beets and skip the roasting step, then cut into quarters
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 tablespoon sultanas or raisins
- 2 tablespoons stilton cheese or vegetarian cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt to taste
- a pinch black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cilantro/coriander chopped
- 1 teaspoon mint leaves chopped
Roast the beets
- Preheat oven to 375°F /190°C. Gently wash 5 medium beets leaving skin on. Place in an ovenproof dish and cover. Bake for 1 hour till tender.
- Cool before peeling and cut into cubes.
For the salad
- In a medium bowl combine the beets, 1 medium carrot and 1 tablespoon sultanas and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and a pinch black pepper then pour over the salad.
- Crumble 2 tablespoons stilton cheese on top, drizzle with 1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup and garnish with chopped 1 tablespoon cilantro/coriander and 1 teaspoon mint leaves.
Only you will see your notes and you can edit them anytime.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically and accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The information above is an estimate per serving.
@ EndoftheFork.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated, however copying and pasting full recipes to social media or other platforms is strictly prohibited.
♥ If you try this recipe, I’d love to see it – on Instagram use #endofthefork and tag me @endofthefork.
For more recipes and latest updates, follow me @endofthefork on social media – see links in the sidebar.
And if you like this recipe, please do leave a comment and/or rate it!