A delicious healthy and popular pickle from the Indian state of Gujarat.
Turmeric is intense, earthy and pungent and has many health benefits.
Turmeric pickle, also known as ‘Kachi Haldi Achar’, is a very popular pickle from Gujarat, in India. It is easy to make and it will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
This delicious tangy pickle can be served as an accompaniment to poppadums, naan/roti or with rice.
You may also like …
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
- 2 tablespoons vegetable
- 1 cup turmeric root peeled and julienned. wear gloves to prevent staining
- 3 inches fresh ginger peeled and julienned
- 3 whole finger green chillies julienned
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds divided
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- In a pan on medium heat, dry roast 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 2 teaspoons fennel seeds and 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds for 2-3 minutes. Coarsely grind the mixture.
- In a bowl, mix 1 cup turmeric root, 3 inches fresh ginger and 3 whole finger green chillies, with the mixture and add 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- In another pan, heat the 2 tablespoons vegetable and add the remaining mustard seeds and ⅓ teaspoon asafoetida powder. Heat it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add to the turmeric mixture, then add ⅓ cup lemon juice and mix.
- Pour into a glass jar and keep in warm part of the kitchen. Shake the jar to mix the ingredients once a day over the next 3 days. Store in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator.
The ingredients here on EOTF are set out in grams & milliliters and in US cups & spoons.
Oh, I love to make pickles. I am 100% going to make this recipe. I have asafoetida powder in the spice cabinet so I’m glad to have another recipe that uses it.