Last Updated on
Soft and chewy chocolate cookies – make a few batches as they will disappear quickly!
These are a favourite in our house! Who doesn’t love a chocolate cookie!
They are fun to make with the family – get the little ones to help pressing out the shapes.
- Make the cookie dough ahead of time and keep in the fridge. The cookies will taste even better if they are chilled for at least 30 minutes.
- Just be careful not to over-bake these cookies – they are meant to be soft and chewy!
How to make them
- Cream together the butter, white and brown sugars till smooth.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla, salt and baking soda to ensure they are mixed thoroughly
- Stir in the cocoa powder, then gently fold in the flour.
- Knead gently into a smooth dough.
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness and stamp out shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Arrange the shapes on a lined baking tray and bake for around 10 minutes till the edges harden (the centers may remain soft).
- Cool on the tray before serving.
Variations to try
For variety, we sprinkled Swedish pearl sugar on top of some cookies before baking and dusted powdered sugar over the others after baking.
These chocolate cookies also make a great gift!
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 medium eggs lightly beaten
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF / 175ºC. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown and white sugar till smooth.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and mix in the vanilla, salt, and baking soda, blending well.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and then fold in the flour.
- Knead gently into a dough.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to a 1/2 inch thickness, and press out shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Place the shapes on a lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool.
♥ If you try this recipe, I’d love to see it – on Instagram use #endofthefork and tag me @endofthefork.
For more recipes and latest updates, follow me @endofthefork on social media – see links in the sidebar.