This tasty creamed corn dip is sweet, lightly spiced and gluten free.
This tasty creamed corn dip is a popular snack or tiffin (lunch box) and is aromatic, sweet and spicy.
Also known as Makai ni khichdi, it originated in Gujarat, India.
In Gujarat, meals are traditionally eaten on a thali, which is a large metal platter containing several smaller bowls. The main part of the thali is for rice and bread, while the smaller bowls, each contain a different vegetable, dal and several farsan.
Farsan are small side dishes which either compliment a meal or can be eaten as snacks or taken to work in a tiffin.
This corn dish is a farsan and is really quick and easy to make – many of these ingredients are pantry staples (if you make Indian food), or are easily available and inexpensive.
This corn does not contain onions, garlic or ginger because Gujarati cuisine is heavily influenced by Jains who are vegetarian and do not use root vegetables.
Instead, they use Asafoetida (hing), which is used as a substitute for the onion and garlic flavours. Although extremely pungent when raw, once cooked asafoetida lends a wonderful aroma to the dish.
Asafoetida is available in supermarkets as a powder, usually mixed with ground wheat (and this is not as noxious). For a gluten free diet, select the GF version which is usually made with rice flour.
To make it
- Partially blend the sweetcorn for extra creaminess, leaving the rest whole for some crunch.
- Heat mustard and cumin seeds in oil to release their flavour, then stir in the asafoetida and chopped fresh green chillies.
- Next, add the corn and milk.
- Before serving add lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander.
How to serve it
You can serve this creamed corn dip warm or at room temperature. Khakhra (Indian flatbread) or warm rotis are a perfect accompaniment.
More Indian recipes
More Dips & Sauces recipes
⭐️ Are you making this recipe? Do let me know how it turned out in the comments! And please give it a star rating below!
Instagram – I love seeing your creations, so post a picture, tag @endofthefork and hashtag #endofthefork
Creamed Corn Dip
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- a pinch asafoetida powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 3 cups sweetcorn partially blended
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- ½ cup milk warm
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coriander/cilantro chopped
- Combine the milk and cornflour in a small bowl, mix well, then set aside.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, heat the oil and add the mustard and cumin seeds. Once you hear the seeds crackle, stir in the asafoetida and green chilli.
- Then add the corn and salt and mix well.
- Pour in the milk mixture and stir continuously for 2 minutes till the mixture thickens slightly.
- Spoon out into a serving bowl, squeeze some lemon juice over the top and garnish with coriander. Serve with any kind of flatbread.
This post was updated on 20th May, 2019